After Shaving Her Bikini Line, A Mom Almost Died And Lose Her Legs.






Dana Sedgewick, 44, ended up in a coma after she developed  a flesh-eating infection for shaving her bikini line.

The former chef from Sheffield, South Yorkshire, underwent 21 operations to repair the damage to her skin and was warned by doctors that she would never walk again.

Dana Sedgewick, 44, shaved with a new razor but ended up with a severe infection

She has now recovered with the support of her husband, Mathew, 47, a landscape gardener, and is back at home with her three children – Megan, 18, Freya, 14, and Klara, nine – after developing necrotising fasciitis.

Necrotising fasciitis is a rare but serious bacterial infection that affects the tissue beneath the skin, the surrounding muscles and organs. It’s often referred to as a “flesh-eating” disease, though the bacteria don’t eat the flesh.
She lost a huge amount of skin on her legs after the infection saw her almost lost her life

The life-threatening infection, though rare, can start from a small injury such as a small cut.

It can be caused by several types of bacteria, some of which can live on a person’s skin without causing any problem.

But, in rare cases, if the bacteria seeps into deep tissue and the bloodstream, it can trigger necrotising fasciitis.

According to Dana: “Like a lot of women, I tried to keep a tidy bikini line. So I had a quick trim with a new razor.

“But over the weekend, I felt unwell and noticed a little pimple on my groin which kept bleeding.
“I didn’t think anything of it as I often got a rash from shaving.
“Little did I know that this tiny pimple would almost cost me my life.”

Dana’s ordeal began in May 2012 when two days after she’d shaved, she began experiencing dizziness and nausea.

She visited her GP, who took swabs and prescribed antibiotics but later that day her eldest daughter discovered her lying in bed, with her legs covered in a bloody red rash.

She was rushed to hospital after collapsing.
Dana said: “By the time I got to the hospital, my legs were covered in black, rotting flesh.
“It was touch-and-go as to whether I’d make it.”
Over the next 10 hours, surgeons battled to save Dana’s legs.

Cutting through seven inches of infected skin, they removed the diseased flesh and reapplied skin from her back.
Doctors worked to repair the damage done by the infection and carried out skin grafts

During surgery doctors discovered, Dana had developed sepsis, deadly blood poisoning, and was given just a 30 per cent chance of survival after going into septic shock.

Her kidneys failed, and her heart stopped four times.

To increase her chances of survival, doctors put her into an induced coma for nine days.

When she woke and saw her legs she said: “It was horrific. All of my muscle had rotted away, and I had a crater of skin near my groin.
Dana almost lost her legs after the severe infection rapidly spread

“I felt like I was going to throw up.
“But I knew that it could have been much, much worse. I could easily have lost my legs – or worse, died.”

Over the next four years, Dana underwent 21 operations to improve the appearance of her skin.

Dr Ron Daniels BEM, chief executive of the UK Sepsis Trust, said: “Stories like Dana’s illustrate the serious damage sepsis can do.
“Every day in the UK, individuals and families have their lives torn apart by the condition.
“But through better awareness, thousands of lives could be saved each year.
“While necrotising fasciitis is a rare cause of sepsis, it’s crucial that members of the public and healthcare professionals consider it when presented with an unwell patient.
“Anyone with flu-like symptoms and one or more of the key signs of sepsis must call an ambulance immediately.
“With every hour that passes before the correct antibiotics are administered, the risk of death increases.”

This will be a lesson to others if they are thinking of shaving on that part of their body or on their private part because we do not know what's the consequences of doing it. Just try to be contented on what you have. And do not compare yourself to anyone because you are you. Always think first before doing anything and be curious for your safety.




Source: thesun.co.uk

Share this Article!
Visit and follow our page: Boy Healthy
© Boy Healthy


DISCLAIMER: (NO COPYRIGHT INTENTIONS, FOR SUPPORT AND EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY) I do not own ANY of the soundtrack, property and rights for audio/ video go to the OWNER. If any content owners would like their images/video removed, Please Message me and I will do so. No copyright infringement intended. Copyright reserved to the respected owner(s) of this video and copyright parties.
All material on this website is provided for your information only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction. No action or inaction should be taken based solely on the contents of this information; instead, readers should consult appropriate health professionals on any matter relating to their health and well-being. Thank you for being considerate.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE:



After Shaving Her Bikini Line, A Mom Almost Died And Lose Her Legs. After Shaving Her Bikini Line, A Mom Almost Died And Lose Her Legs. Reviewed by Pes Teng Yawa on 8:38 PM Rating: 5